What happens when a photographer, a beautiful girl, and a makeup artist walk into a gorgeous Baroque Hall? If they meet up with a stylist holding an original 1950s vintage wedding dress... only BEAUTY can happen.
And what are the special ingredients that can transform a normal 18-yr-old girl into a Hollywood star?
Here are the 5 most important things for the perfect Grace Kelly wedding look.
Giulia was a perfect model. With a classic movie star face that reminded us of Grace Kelly, she just followed directions and immediately found her role, creating the intensity we were looking for.
1. Great research. Finding a vintage dress on Ebay may be simple, but matching it to the perfect headdress, makeup and hairstyle is not. Expertise in the period of the dress to combine the right accessories and beauty standards of the day is really important, otherwise everything will look "not quite right" and mismatched. And finding a hairdresser who can style hair like our mothers and grandmothers used to do is not easy!
2. Location, location, location. We wanted to convey grand style, and this Hall was perfect for that. Big chandeliers, heavy drapes and gorgeous Venetian stuccos make every image precious and rich. It's not from the same period as the dress, of course, but a bride in the fifties could be married in such a hall, so it makes sense. Location always plays a key role in the mood we want to create.
3. Good direction. Everyone can be a model and an actress if the director/photographer knows what they're doing. Bringing expression and emotion into an image is a subtle art and not easily achieved. Good experience and great connection with the model are the key ingredients to create images that tell a great story.
4. Light. Using light to "write" an image and give it a special mood takes skill and experience. In this case we wanted light to be strong and dramatic, yet we achieved it with just the natural light from the window. Keeping the chandeliers on was just enough to bring the background to life.
5. An eye for colour. The white of the dress and the pearls, the warmth of the room, the red of her lips... while some of these images have been turned into black and white and look fantastic, I love the softer contrast in the original shots.
A string of pearls and some natural light was just right to make Giulia and that dress magical.
Our team of experts:
The dress was restored and styled by Gwen McGuirk, the fashion and costume designer who provided a fabulous collection for our shoot (more to come :)
Flawless makeup and hairstyle by Sandra Strele looked perfectly natural and right on point for the period.
The Hall is part of the Grand Hotel Europa in Innsbruck, a perfect place to have the most fabulous parties!
Will YOU be a model for a day?
Book your own styled photoshoot and experience a fabulous day you will remember forever!
Click here to contact us for details or call 0676 4664 171 and let your adventure begin :)